Thursday, August 12, 2010

Short and Sweet

Look at this picture. What do you see? A beautiful woman who is happy. See the wrinkles around her eyes. Those are lines from pain and sorrow, stress, doubt and worry. From happiness and joy and abundant smiles! From seeing her kids, husband and her church through the happiest and the saddest of times and being strong the whole way.

I see the most beautiful and wonderful woman I have ever known. My mother.

Of course, I see all of those thing because I know her life. I know where she's been and what she's become. I am so proud of her and I pray every day I can be like her one day! Those are big shoes to fill, let me just tell you! I have watched this woman my entire life and still cannot seem to grasp where she gets her strength and work ethic from every day.

So, that being said, let me ask you another question: If the outside world were to stumble upon this picture, what would they see? Would their thoughts be as kind as mine? Would they realize how amazing this woman is by the wrinkles around her eyes?

Surely not. Most of what we see today is only the skin deep person. We follow peoples lives judging them and never knowing who they really are. But, that is the world we live in.

It's all about perspective. Follow me a little bit further and allow me to show you why this amazing woman is smiling so big!

Because this precious little boy is smiling back at her! Her grandson, my nephew, Dylan.

So, ladies, listen to me now. Look in the mirror. Look down at your bodies. Examine every roll, dimple and line. Those are all stories that tell us where we've been, who we are and what we've been through. That's every fight we've had with our mothers, every wonderful meal we've had with our families, every celebration, every dismay, every heartbreak and all our smiles. These are our BEAUTY!! Maybe that's God's way of letting us hold on to those memories a little bit longer.

Love yourself inside! If you don't like it, fix it. If you want to work on the outside, do! But first and foremost, never let it take control of you. Remember those stories. Learn from them, grow from them and heal from them.

Lots of Love!
Maggie

0 comments: